Located on a high bluff overlooking Newport Harbor in Newport Beach, Newport Center is a business, shopping and entertainment district referred that is home to Fashion Island. Created as the unofficial ?downtown? of Irvine Ranch, Newport Center was designed as part of a joint venture between William Pereira and Welton Becket.
L'histoire de Newport Center
Le site où se trouve le Newport Center était autrefois utilisé pour le Jamboree National Scout de 1953 des Boy Scouts of America. Premier jamboree du genre à se tenir à l'ouest du fleuve Mississippi, le Jamboree national scout de 1953 a accueilli 50 000 scouts de tous les 50 États et de 16 pays étrangers. Le site a également été l'un des premiers à être envisagé pour Disneyland.
While not much is known about the early history of the site, a considerable amount of petrified wood was found at the site during excavation for the first buildings. This indicates a small forest once existed in the area. These first buildings went up in 1967, with most of the center?s buildings being constructed in the 1970s. While the overall design of the center placed an emphasis on International Style architecture, the futurist Pacific Mutual Building was added in 1972. This went on to become one of Newport Beach?s most well-known architectural landmarks.
Explorer Newport Center
Newport Center est situé dans un grand pâté de maisons entre les routes Jamboree, MacArthur et San Joaquin Hills et la Pacific Coast Highway. Une route circulaire appelée Newport Center Drive est située au centre du pâté de maisons, tandis que des immeubles de grande hauteur encerclent le bord extérieur de la route. Plusieurs commerces sont situés le long de cette route, dont:
? Acacia Research Corporation
? Irvine Company
? Janus Capital Group
? Pacific Life
? Stradling Yocca Carlson & Rauth
Newport Center Drive can be accessed by five outside roads, each of which is named after an island within the Channel Islands of California. These roads split the center into ?superblocks? that are built and leased as separate properties. Meanwhile, Fashion Island is located in the center of the circle. Owned by The Irvine Company, Fashion Island is an open-air lifestyle center that opened in 1967. At the time it was open, the center featured Buffman?s, The Broadway, J.W. Robinson?s and J.C. Penney, the buildings for which were designed by William Pereira and Welton Becket. The Spanish architectural theme has gone on to define the property.
Depuis l'ouverture de Fashion Island, Bullocks Wilshire a été renommé I.Magnin et Neiman Marcus a été ajouté. JC Penney a également déménagé, après quoi le bâtiment a été reconstruit et rouvert en tant qu'Atrium Court. Le bâtiment a continué à contenir de nombreux petits magasins ainsi qu'une aire de restauration au niveau inférieur.
In addition to being home to numerous stores, a large Christmas tree can also be found at Fashion Island every year. Located in the large courtyard outside of the Bloomingdale?s building, the tree is lit about a week before Christmas, an occasion that is preceded by extravagant holiday performances. Trees are taken from a private timber area near Mount Shasta and shipped to Fashion Island in several pieces. They are then reassembled using steel rods and a large crane.